Welcome to the MEF Source Preview 3
: MEF is in development. The source available on this site, does not reflect the final state of the product. It is also not a CTP, or a Beta. If you are downloading the source, consider it a preview of where we are at currently. We'd welcome any feedback
you have on your experience.
This our third MEF source preview. The first preview was released as a CTP on CodeGallery
. This drop includes full source for MEF as well as several sample applications.
The full source in this release is now licensed under MS-PL. The previous MS-LPL dependency has now been removed.
Below is a summary of the changes in this release:
- Composition container has been refactored. The new design is cleaner with better separation of concerns.
- A new Export Provider model has been introduced to replace the Value Resolver. Export provider provides several benefits.
- Export providers are easier to author than Value Resolvers.
- You can provide a chain of export providers (via using the AggregatingExportProvider) to extend the functionility of the container.
- You can provide filtered export providers that apply custom policies on which exports can be returned.
- You can provide a default set of overridable exports, like a default logger.
- A new persistant catalog cache has been introduced. After the cache is initially built, the catalog can be queried without requiring reflecting over the assemblies. Only when an export instance is created will the assemblies load.
- Several performance optimizations.
- Full unit tests.
Samples within include:
- Meflook - Outlook like client*
- Meftris - Tetris like game with shapes as plug-ins.*
- Extensible File Explorer - File explorer with extensible views, favories file viewers and shell services*
For documentation on the samples click here
The release zip file contains the source and binaries. The source is also checked in to the tree where you can access it through SVN.
MEF was designed to run on the Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows XP Professional, or Windows Server 2003 operating systems. Applications built using this guidance will require the .NET Framework 3.5 to run.
Before you can use MEF, the following must be installed:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
We welcome your feedback
. If you encounter any bugs or have feature suggestions, please submit a work item here