Reloading an updated version of XAP through DeploymentCatalog does not recompose correctly

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM

DeploymentCatalog does not seem to consume the proper version of XAP package.

in fact when the application start and an extension (xap package) is loaded the first time composition works fine, but if I drop a newer version of the xap package and try to reload it the re-composition seems the produce the same old result.

do DeployementCatalog use a cached version of the xap package ?

I inspected through Chrome and I saw a request is made to load the new version, however when I changed the version of the assemblies in the package re-composition failed with "Object reference set to null" !!!!!

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Did you ever solve this issue? I am going down a similar path with switching to MEF instead of Prism to download modules. Thanks...
Mar 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM
The reason is related to how silverlight handles loading modules in app domains, it does not allow more than one version of a dll so it ignores new version until you restart your application.

Hope this helps,

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:29:53 -0800
Subject: Re: Reloading an updated version of XAP through DeploymentCatalog does not recompose correctly [MEF:404786]

Did you ever solve this issue? I am going down a similar path with switching to MEF instead of Prism to download modules. Thanks...
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MEF@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email MEF@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Mar 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Thanks for sharing your results.

Doesn't this create a real-time issue when customers have persisted login enabled and leave their browser open for several days. If a server update occurs with new MEF related dlls, does this cause the user to experience somewhat unpredictable application failures? I will try to reproduce your issue to see what happen.

Regards...