MEF - what features can we expect?

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:40 AM
Edited Sep 29, 2008 at 6:42 AM
I'll hopefully be wrapping up client requirements tomorrow and will be back to my http://www.CodePlex.com/SDMS application which is being moved to MEF.

There are features of the CompositeWPF that I really got attached to, i.e., the Region Manager, Commands and the Event Aggregator that I will start migrating to a MEFContrib.Library.   Before I start this adventure I wanted to ensure that you don't already have something in mind for us - if you do I'll stick with the more conventional WPF approach to loading views, handling commands and events until the next drop (or when it becomes available).
Sep 29, 2008 at 6:55 AM
Hi Bill

We're not looking at shipping anything specifically that's analagous to these services in Composite WPF. As far as creating a MEF Contrib, that's a great idea!

Glenn
Sep 30, 2008 at 1:32 AM
Edited Sep 30, 2008 at 8:08 PM
Hi Glenn,  I'm honestly very glad to hear this!   Not only would it not have been as much fun ;) it is great not having to abandon the CompositeWPF - it is very powerful and we can have the best of both teams :)

I took a shotgun approach to the integration, combining an earlier CompositeWPF and MEF POCs into a MEFContrib.Library project, and was pleasantly surprised to find it worked as well as I envisioned it would :)  A powerful testimony to the extensibility of these two frameworks.  I blog on the topic HERE w/flash demo and source code.

I would rather not lone-wolf this project; I'd like to open it up to the community.   What are your recommendations?    Do I start a new Codeplex project or can we create a MEFContrib project? If at all possible I'd rather be a developer on a MEFContrib project than a coordinator as I see this as a short term project (once this work is done and uploaded no sense having the separate codeplex site).

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:26 AM
Yeah, starting a MEF Contrib would be ideal. You can go create it on Codeplex.

-----Original Message-----
To: "Glenn Block" 
Sent: 9/29/2008 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: MEF - what features can we expect? [MEF:36630]

Hi Glenn, I'm honestly very glad to hear this! Not only would it not have been as much fun ;) it is great not having to abandon the CompositeWPF - it is very powerful and we can have the best of both teams :)

I took a shotgun approach to the integration, combining an earlier CompositeWPF and MEF POCs into a MEFContrib.Library project, and was pleasantly surprised to find it worked as well as I envisioned it would :) A powerful testimony to the extensibility of these two frameworks. I blog on the topic HERE w/flash demo and source code.

I would rather not lone-wolf this project; I'd like to open it up to the community. What are your recommendations? Do I start a new Codeplex project or can we create a MEFContrib project? If at all possible I'd rather be a developer on a MEFContrib project than a coordinator as I see this as a short term project (once this work is done and uploaded no sense having the separate codeplex site).

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:22 AM
All you need to do now is call for contributors. I would recommend seeing if you can onboard a few more coordinators to help you drive the project forward.
Sep 30, 2008 at 6:25 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM
FYI, I wanted to do a small intro for Ryan Rauh (his blog).  He came on board to our team as a summer intern; I introduced him to MVP, pointed him to the CAB Labs,  Smart Client Software Factory, Web Client Software Factory and Web Service Software factory.  He has this insatiable desire to learn and quickly mastered these frameworks and currently maintains existing projects while creating new ones; whatever he can't suck out of me with questions he picks up through osmosis and his studies .   He saw me using LINQPad and had to have it - the next day he was showing me cool queries; today after lunch he is going to show me Workflow - a "concept" I introduced him to for a school project last week (for his last class); he's telling me it will be perfect for the framework I am setting up for our next project and provided me working demos.   He setup Team Foundation Server for our team and constantly "amazes" me - I have not seen anything like him in the 20 years I've been developing.  I wanted to suck him into MEF and signed him up as coordinator; I have high expectations for him and what he will bring to the community.  

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Ryan and Magnus should talk, as Magnus has done a bunch of work already around WCSF.

Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:25 AM
To: Glenn Block

FYI, I wanted to do a small intro for Ryan Rauh (his blog). He came on board to our team as a summer intern; I introduced him to MVP, pointed him to the CAB Labs, Smart Client Software Factory, Web Client Software Factory and Web Service Software factory. He has this insatiable desire to learn and quickly mastered these frameworks and currently maintains existing projects while creating new ones; whatever he can't suck out of me with questions he picks up through osmosis and his studies . He saw me using LINQPad and had to have it - the next day he was showing me cool queries; today after lunch he is going to show me Workflow - a "concept" I introduced him to for a school project last week (for his last class); he's telling me it will be perfect for the framework I am setting up for our next project and provided me working demos. He setup Team Foundation Server for our team and constantly "amazes" me - I have not seen anything like him in the 20 years I've been developing. I wanted to suck him into MEF and signed him up as coordinator; I have high expectations for him and what he will bring to the community.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MEF@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email MEF@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM
Totally! Mine is just a sample but it integrates Unity in the ASP.NET app in the Puleio proof of concept manner and hooks up a simple MEF strategy to the unity build chain. It is kind of a proof of concept too. Especially the MEFStrategy is a bit naive.

http://blog.noop.se/archive/2008/09/15/managed-extensibility-framework-mef-used-to-make-a-composite-web.aspx

Let him go wild and crazy on that sample (code is attached to the post) and we'll see what he comes up with.

M.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 20:08, gblock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ryan and Magnus should talk, as Magnus has done a bunch of work already around WCSF.

Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:25 AM
To: Glenn Block

FYI, I wanted to do a small intro for Ryan Rauh (his blog). He came on board to our team as a summer intern; I introduced him to MVP, pointed him to the CAB Labs, Smart Client Software Factory, Web Client Software Factory and Web Service Software factory. He has this insatiable desire to learn and quickly mastered these frameworks and currently maintains existing projects while creating new ones; whatever he can't suck out of me with questions he picks up through osmosis and his studies . He saw me using LINQPad and had to have it - the next day he was showing me cool queries; today after lunch he is going to show me Workflow - a "concept" I introduced him to for a school project last week (for his last class); he's telling me it will be perfect for the framework I am setting up for our next project and provided me working demos. He setup Team Foundation Server for our team and constantly "amazes" me - I have not seen anything like him in the 20 years I've been developing. I wanted to suck him into MEF and signed him up as coordinator; I have high expectations for him and what he will bring to the community.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MEF@discussions.codeplex.com)

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Magnus Mårtensson
Senior Consultant - Scrum Master - MCSD, MCTS
Dotway AB

Tel: +46 (768) 51 00 36

http://blog.noop.se/
Sep 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2008 at 8:01 PM
@Noopman,  can I sign you up as developer so you can add your code to the existing solution?   Seems like everything will be in POC stage and we can all work on getting MEFContrib ready for release.  
Sep 30, 2008 at 8:13 PM
@Noopman, actually - if you don't mind - can I add you as a Coordinator as we can use your experience :)
Sep 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM
I've never been one of the coordinators before on a codeplex project. Nice! ;~)

I'll upload my sample and put a new page on the site explaining what I did.

"Experience" is very nice of you to say; not much required. I do however know a bit about the ObjectBuilder and it prooves useful here!

M.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 21:13, BillKrat <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

@Noopman, actually - if you don't mind - can I add you as a Coordinator as we can use your experience :)

--
Magnus Mårtensson
Senior Consultant - Scrum Master - MCSD, MCTS
Dotway AB

Tel: +46 (768) 51 00 36

http://blog.noop.se/
Oct 1, 2008 at 12:03 AM
@Noopman, your signed up - Thanks! Appreciate the help getting the Contrib site up and running.   I'll move this discussion over to the Contrib site http://www.CodePlex.com/MEFContrib
Sep 3, 2015 at 5:59 PM
Hi,

Where can I find a full working example version of Prism + MEF for Windows Runtime?

Thanks!...