How to Document a MEF System

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:24 AM
How are people documenting MEF systems?

Obviously if you are using interfaces a certain amount of detail is provided in them.

But I'm struggling to find a way to explain what's happening in my MEF system. What's discovered via MEF and the expectations for the replacement if coders add their own versions.
Apr 2, 2009 at 7:26 AM
Hey!

Agreed that this is a bit of a pickle.

Actually in our documentation I begin by stating that this part of the system documentation is the tricky/messy part! (And there is no smiley here, I mean it.)

We use MEF, of course, to enable decoupling and all of that but also to make our framework code more POCO and easy to read. Rather than sprinkling attributes from our Dependency Injection container all over our framework and taking a dependency on a specific DI container we have opted to make our framework POCO and use MEF to dynamically load configuration assemblies that use a configuration API to configure the framework injections.

The resulting framework code is clean and easy to read and all of the messy configuration stuff is abstracted away from the coders. Thus my warning in the system documentation is warranted. If you understand this then you've got it all - basically - is what I write in the documentation!

Then I go on to describe the functionality of MEF with the bootstrapping and the export/import stuff.

I have no idea if this helps any but perhaps it gives you a few ides?

Cheers,

M.

Techie.notepad
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:24 AM, KathleenDOllard <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

How are people documenting MEF systems?

Obviously if you are using interfaces a certain amount of detail is provided in them.

But I'm struggling to find a way to explain what's happening in my MEF system. What's discovered via MEF and the expectations for the replacement if coders add their own versions.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MEF@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email MEF@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Magnus Mårtensson
Senior Consultant - Scrum Master - MCSD, MCTS
Dotway AB