MEF Preview vs Visual Studio 2010

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:20 PM
Taking a look at the System.ComponentModel.dll in the Visual Studio 2010 CTP.

In comparison to the MEF Preview 2, it looks significantly different.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows when the next MEF preview release will be, and if it will be close to the one in Visual Studio 2010.

Also, which one is closer to what the final release will look like?

My team is considering the use of MEF for a product.  Even though source code is available, the significant rate of change causes me some pause.  So, I'm wondering how close the VS 2010 MEF is likely to be, to a fully baked MEF.

Regards,
Phil

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:50 AM

Hi Phil

By the time VS10 ships, the two versions will be in synch. MEF is part of the .NET Framework, and VS10 references it, so there is no other option.  Currently VS10 gets snap shots of our bits at pre-defined points within our development as we merge them in, this is why you are seeing that the preview bits may not match. This will continue for some time as we complete our MEF development. Shortly for example we will be releasing a new drop of MEF that has a bunch of changes that have not made it into the VS10 CTP bits.

They will be present in the beta when it ships, and absolutely when VS10 ships, it will be in synch with the final version of MEF.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 12:20 AM
To: Glenn Block
Subject: MEF Preview vs Visual Studio 2010 [MEF:40408]

Taking a look at the System.ComponentModel.dll in the Visual Studio 2010 CTP.

In comparison to the MEF Preview 2, it looks significantly different.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows when the next MEF preview release will be, and if it will be close to the one in Visual Studio 2010.

Also, which one is closer to what the final release will look like?

My team is considering the use of MEF for a product. Even though source code is available, the significant rate of change causes me some pause. So, I'm wondering how close the VS 2010 MEF is likely to be, to a fully baked MEF.

Regards,

Phil

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MEF@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email MEF@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:34 PM
Thanks for the reply Glenn.

Do you know what the intention is as far as licensing?  Will, MEF when released still be available under the Microsoft open source license?

Thanks again,
Phil
Nov 25, 2008 at 7:43 PM
Hi Phil

The source code on CodePlex will remain under an open-source license.

Glenn