In a Web Application - proof of concept with lots of thoughts

Sep 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Hi all!

I did the proof of concept for MEF in a Web Application! It works great actually for the basic case!

Plus I found some stuff along the way that I made into requests for the final product. Also I came up with a very wordy blog post about it! For the interested I hope and think it has some merit? ;~)

Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) used to make a Composite Web ASP.NET Forms Application

Thought maybe I'd post idea by idea in this forum to get nuanced discussions on each of my many requests... but I thought I'd first post the whole of it here while it's fresh to get feedback!

Hope you have an interesting read!

Cheers,

/Magnus

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:42 PM
noopman your blog misses my comment saying service not available :(
Sep 15, 2008 at 8:25 PM
I was on his blog earlier today, might just be one of those things - I was excited to see a POC for MEF in ASP.NET; book marked this for later :)  It is down right now though...
Sep 15, 2008 at 8:37 PM
Blast! There was something wrong with my blog! ;~(

Kicked the server so now it's up again. (The disadvantage of closet hosting!)

Plese, if you will, repost your comment! I don't get all that many of those... it's almost like a happening to me! ;~)

Cheers,

/Magnus
Sep 16, 2008 at 4:34 AM
Magnus, your blog appears to be down again. Get it back up so Brad A can look at your post :)
Sep 16, 2008 at 5:58 AM
Man... this is most annoying! I'm gonna have to get to the bottom of this. Just changed Internet Access to fibre. I have 100/100 now but what's the point if the service is unstable? As far as I can see it is up now... I hope!

Sorry to all of you who tried to reach my post and failed!

Cheers,

/Magnus
Oct 23, 2008 at 8:51 AM
I made an even simpler MEF Web solution (with the help of Magnus) and then also added AJAX to it. Not sure where I can post my solution though but I think I can slip it into the "MEF enabled Web" codeplex project.
Oct 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM
We'd love to have it (and you) on the MEFContrib site - let me know and we'll add you as developer or coordinator (could use more coordinators to get MEFContrib moving forward).

http://www.CodePlex.com/MEFContrib

Bill
Oct 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM
Henrik is my colleague and cam to me with the classic request for event broking capabilities. His scenario is very compact (one page with dynamic controls) which makes it very intresting I think!

He should post his code direct under a project of his own and add a page of his own I think. It is great to have small usages and quickstarts! This helps the community follow mef and mefcontribs lead!

Absolutely add him if he likes! ;~) Good work Henrik!

M.

Techie.notepad

Oct 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM
I would be honored, but I think you guys are out of my league by far. $0If Magnus don't mind I will use him as my proxy instead, and with a bit of sweet talking I might be able to put my sample code on his MEF Web project where it seems most suited.$0
Oct 23, 2008 at 3:59 PM
Why not keep it all in the same contrib project? The whole idea of contrib is having one central place where customers can go....a supermarket of contributions if you wish.

This is the model p&p contribs and MVC. Contrib have used and it works...

Glenn

You can stll have separate folders and wiki pages linked off the main page.

-----Original Message-----
To: "Glenn Block" 
Sent: 10/23/2008 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: In a Web Application - proof of concept with lots of thoughts [MEF:35695]

Henrik is my colleague and cam to me with the classic request for event broking capabilities. His scenario is very compact (one page with dynamic controls) which makes it very intresting I think!

He should post his code direct under a project of his own and add a page of his own I think. It is great to have small usages and quickstarts! This helps the community follow mef and mefcontribs lead!

M.

Techie.notepad

Oct 23, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Perfect! I will put it in there very soon. It's sort of in my mail! ;~)

M.

Techie.notepad

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 17:59, gblock <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Why not keep it all in the same contrib project? The whole idea of contrib is having one central place where customers can go....a supermarket of contributions if you wish.

This is the model p&p contribs and MVC. Contrib have used and it works...

Glenn

You can stll have separate folders and wiki pages linked off the main page.

-----Original Message-----
To: "Glenn Block" 
Sent: 10/23/2008 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: In a Web Application - proof of concept with lots of thoughts [MEF:35695]

M.

Techie.notepad

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (MEF@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email MEF@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Magnus Mårtensson
Senior Consultant - Scrum Master - MCSD, MCTS
Dotway AB

Tel: +46 (768) 51 00 36

http://blog.noop.se/
Oct 24, 2008 at 12:10 AM
[henrik] I would be honored, but I think you guys are out of my league by far.

I would have to disagree with you henrik, the fact that you have something to contribute that we (myself and the community) can learn from,
and benefit from, suggest you have great value to bring to the team.   Our team doesn't have "leagues", if anything it has gears and every
gear has equal importance.

The fact that you have the initiative and desire to develop something on the bleeding edge suggest that you have the qualities necessary,
if not required, to be a coordinator for the MEFContrib project to succeed.

I would be honored if you would except the position of developer, and or coordinator, and help us get a MEF Web sample completed,
to include documention w/unit test so that the community can benefit from your experience(s).  If at all possible a lab with step by step
instructions on how to create one from scratch would be great - I for one will need this in the very near future.  I, like Magnus, am at
your disposal if there is anything you require assistance with.

Bill
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:21 AM
+1

Good call Bill!

M.
Techie.notepad
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:46 AM
Edited Oct 25, 2008 at 12:43 PM
aawh, sweet!
Now I have to join!
Set me up as a contributor at the appropriate project and I will publish my solution to start with.
Oct 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM
Ok gents! My samples have been checked in!
Oct 25, 2008 at 2:57 PM
Thanks Henrik,  I'll be spending this weekend documenting what I've completed to date using the Sandcastle
Help File Builder (ver 1.8.0.0 alpha), while it is still fresh in my mind.  I got great news this morning that the
author of SHFB, Eric Woodruff, will be working on an Html to Maml converter this weekend which allows me
to pull that project off of my plate so I can focus on the MEFContrib project again.

I'm excited about seeing what you've done so I'll probably stop and play with it when I get the documentation
caught up (before I pickup coding again on my MEFContrib project).

Bill
Oct 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM
Hi Henrick, didn't want you to feel like I pulled you on board and then didn't follow up on your (much appreciated) contribution. 
It may be a while before I get a chance to provide feedback but of course that won't minimize it's value to the rest of the
community :)  I may fall of the radar for a wee bit as open source has to take a temporary back-burner...

MAMLConverter's back on the front burner (Eric's converter didn't meet my requirements) as documentation has become
a priority for my current contract.  I picked up a new client and an existing client needs updates to my
http://www.Codeplex.com/CASKDotnet project.  Throw into the mix the new Technet subscription I just purchased (gives
me SharePoint services for my dev server - hot priority on my learning burner), a 70-300 exam I'm preparing for and it could
mean I might be tied up for a few hours ;)

"I'll be back"

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:22 AM
Hi Henrik,  I'm back :)

Great jobs on the samples!  I am moving the topic to this thread: http://www.codeplex.com/MEFContrib/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=39820

I need your okay so that I can check-in some refactoring work (addressed in referenced discussion); please let me know.