Purpose?

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:43 PM
Maybe I am missing something here, but what is the point of this framework?  I don't see anything here that couldn't be done easily with any of the myriad IoC/DI containers out there already, I guess with the exception of method sharing without interfaces, which to me seems like a very bad idea. 

Why not add these features as extensions to Unity?
Sep 7, 2008 at 7:26 AM
Hi tangent,  I'm in the process of researching/developing a plugin model for the CompositeWPF; I'm using the CLRAddIn so that each module will be loaded in it's own AppDomain.  I have encountered all of the problems that "What problems does MEF solve".   None of the samples offer the reusability I am looking for; I'm going to use them to learn and then will have to build my own - fortunately the Pipeline builder generates code from a contract which promises to relieve some of the grunt work; the challenge will making it extensible...

"Managed Extensibility Framework" promises to do for plug-ins what the CAB, SCSF and CompositeWPF did for applications - allow us to focus on Use Case, not infrastructure.

My 2 cents - now I'm broke ;)

Sep 7, 2008 at 3:16 PM
Hi Tangent

This thread should answer some if not all of your questions.

http://www.codeplex.com/MEF/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=35083
Sep 7, 2008 at 5:49 PM
Ah Ok, that clears things up a bit, thanks Glenn. 

I didn't understand that MEF is going to be an addition to .Net framework rather than a separate component such as the P&P stuff, with that in mind it makes a lot more sense.