Internal and External Extensibility

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Hi,

I've been following MEF project for a while (and guice on the other side of the fence).

Managed Extensibility Framework was built for extensibility from the get-going but I think there are two side of the same coin which is extensibility: internal and external.

VS2010 use MEF to have external extensibility for the editor part, which is great.

In my application I'm looking at MEF from internal extensibility (and composibility) standpoint. I want to build my application in a way I can maintain it, test it, understand it to which I use good design practices some of which call to build little parts that ultimately compose together to do the work. I want to provide single working product to my customers, and I think MEF is still a great framework for me.

Internal and external extensibility are not mutually excluded and I think they encourage each other. If I already have good internal extensibility model I could not use it for external extensibility, with good design off course.

I would like to see reference and examples for both internal and external extensibility design with MEF because as far as I can tell all of the attention was about external extensibility until now.

Thank you,

Ido.

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Hi Ido,

Are there any scenarios that you have in mind that feature both. This would help inform our future documentation efforts

Thanks

-alok

Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:53 AM
To: Alok Shriram
Subject: Internal and External Extensibility [MEF:284091]

Hi,

I've been following MEF project for a while (and guice on the other side of the fence).

Managed Extensibility Framework was built for extensibility from the get-going but I think there are two side of the same coin which is extensibility: internal and external.

VS2010 use MEF to have external extensibility for the editor part, which is great.

In my application I'm looking at MEF from internal extensibility (and composibility) standpoint. I want to build my application in a way I can maintain it, test it, understand it to which I use good design practices some of which call to build little parts that ultimately compose together to do the work. I want to provide single working product to my customers, and I think MEF is still a great framework for me.

Internal and external extensibility are not mutually excluded and I think they encourage each other. If I already have good internal extensibility model I could not use it for external extensibility, with good design off course.

I would like to see reference and examples for both internal and external extensibility design with MEF because as far as I can tell all of the attention was about external extensibility until now.

Thank you,

Ido.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:09 PM
Hi, yes do have scenario which combine both.
An application I'm working on has screen that show diagram. The diagram is composed of several layers, each has set of tools.
There are also shared services like highlighting, selection, editing, etc.
I want to use MEF to be able to compose all those little parts together in manageable fashion. This will all me to extend the application, currently internally, by adding new tools by simply implement the required interface and obey a convention which will be use by the RegistrationBuilder.

In the future when we will expose our application object model to third party they will be able to extend the application, externally, by using the same method.

I'm interested in MEF because it getting very hard to compose my application manually.

Ido

ב-27 בדצמ 2011, בשעה 20:47, "alokshriram" <notifications@codeplex.com> כתב/ה:

Hi Ido,

Are there any scenarios that you have in mind that feature both. This would help inform our future documentation efforts

Thanks

-alok

Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:53 AM
To: Alok Shriram
Subject: Internal and External Extensibility [MEF:284091]

Hi,

In my application I'm looking at MEF from internal extensibility (and composibility) standpoint. I want to build my application in a way I can maintain it, test it, understand it to which I use good design practices some of which call to build little parts that ultimately compose together to do the work. I want to provide single working product to my customers, and I think MEF is still a great framework for me.

Internal and external extensibility are not mutually excluded and I think they encourage each other. If I already have good internal extensibility model I could not use it for external extensibility, with good design off course.

Thank you,

Ido.