.net 4.5 features?

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM

From : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ms171868(VS.110).aspx

Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF)

The Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) provides the following new features:

• Support for generic types.

• Convention-based programming model that enables you to create parts based on naming conventions rather than attributes.

• Multiple scopes.

Where can I find information about this? I'm particularly interested in the second bullet.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I wrote this post. See also hammett's blog post on MEF's Convention Model.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Is Initialization going to be included in .NET 4.5? I don't mind having to use Glenn's Desktop.Initialization.dll, but if .net 4.5 already includes CompositionInitializer and ExportFactory<T> with MEF (for WPF) then that would rock! I don't see it listed here though...

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I'm interested in the 3rd bullet point about Multiple Scopes. What does that mean? Any more information about that?

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM

ExportFactory is believe is there. As to ComposiionInitializer it is not there. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM

A long time ago there was a posting on the MEF blog about potential features for the .NET 4.5 release of MEF:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hammett/archive/2010/06/11/mef-features-for-v-next-feedback-request.aspx

It was said that this is just a possible list. The list was as followed:

- Convention-based discovery catalog
- Explicit wiring
- Generic instantiation (being able to export IRepository<> and import IRepository<Customer>)
- Better diagnostics
- AOP/Interceptors
- Integration with XAML/WPF
- Integration with Azure
- Simplification of scoping/container hierarchy
- Custom lifetimes (per thread, transactional)

I am wondering, if there is anymore details about what other feature will be included in MEF 2.0 in .NET 4.5 besides the ones known by today.

Could anyone provide some insight?

Thanks in advance,

Theo

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Hi - we're currently putting together a refresh of the Codeplex MEF drop and will make sure there are comprehensive release notes addressing your questions.

Thanks for your interest!

Nick

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Hi Nick thanks for the update. Is there a time line on this refresh you can share with us?

Thanks,

TJ

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:30 PM

There's no exact date set but we are planning on weeks rather than months. Apologies for the uncertainty, there's a fair bit of work still to do on release activities.

Nick

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Nick,

I can clearly understand that. Thanks for the update.

TJ

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Nick,

Knowing you are working on MEF is very encouraging. Autofac is by far my favorite container, but since we use Prism on teh job we are using Unity here. I look forward to some of the relationship types you championed in Autofac becoming first class citizens... thats gonna happen right?

Damian

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Hi Damian – good to see you here!

MEF pioneered a lot of ‘relationship types’ ideas. The most important concepts are all there – in slightly different forms to many of the Autofac versions – but with the same flavor. In the MEF2 drops you should find the main piece that was missing from the MEF1 puzzle, in the shape of ExportFactory<T>. Initially shipped on Silverlight only, I think it pretty much completes the MEF relationship types support with a dynamic instantiation.

Hope you have a chance to spend some time with the new MEF pieces in .NET 4.5, it is shaping up to be a really interesting release.

Cheers,

Nick

Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:55 AM
To: Nicholas Blumhardt
Subject: Re: .net 4.5 features? [MEF:273252]

Nick,

Knowing you are working on MEF is very encouraging. Autofac is by far my favorite container, but since we use Prism on teh job we are using Unity here. I look forward to some of the relationship types you championed in Autofac becoming first class citizens... thats gonna happen right?

Damian

Oct 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM

You will find there are a lot of people that are hit badly by the MEF v1 limitations and eager to move forward - also likely because we LOVE MEF and are happy finally to have something like this especially in the .NET framework itself ;) I personally am duly missing open generics and the scoping which looks a lot better than what I got working.... and I have 2 large applications build pretty much totally around MEF ;) Please give us new drops often ;)