Mef v2 Abandoned?

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:19 AM

I'm thinking MEF v2 has been abandoned?  Almost 6 months since the last release candidate.  Would have been polite if at least Microsoft had said something before abandoning it, and us in this forum.

Every body has left, but nobody remembered to turn the lights off?

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:34 AM

No, I don't think so.

It might be true that they've made some changes among the people involved but MEF which is also an intricate part of Visual Studio won't just disappear, that doesn't make a lot of sense, the previews have been great, the development is working and MEF solves real problems in meaningful ways.

Glenn also appears to be back coordinating the work (or maybe he never really left, I do know that he was taking a REST) anyway, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. It would surprise me if MEF was suddenly discontinued and even if it was, it's open source, anyone may continue development.

John

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2011 at 3:44 PM

MEF v2 hasn't been abandoned.  It will ship in the next version of the .NET Framework.  On the MEF side we're pretty much done with the development work on it for the next version, which is part of why you haven't heard anything new from us about it.  We do still need to write and publish more details about the changes in MEF v2.

Thanks,
Daniel

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Thanks, mission accomplished.  I actually managed to elicit a statement about this project's status!