Cannot find System.ComponentModel.Composition.Packaging

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I have installed Silverlight 4 and the latest Toolkit. I cannot find this. My system cannot make heads or tails of PackageCatalog. ReSharper is no help here; its' saying it does not exist. What am I missing? What else do I have to reference? Why isn't this working????

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Hi Chris

PackageCatalog is no more, it was replaced in SL4 by DeploymentCatalog. You can read about it here

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Thanks Glenn. Finally found a post of yours about that. 

This is the one disadvantage of the web - all legacy information is still out there and not updated... Which can lead one down a very frustrating path when trying to get started with something new that is constantly changing.

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Sorry Chris. Didn't you see anything in the documentation? Been a looong time since we chatted btw :-)

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I didn't go through the normal download -> documentation route.

Was more like, "I want to split my Silverlight projects up to be more modular, because we're copying and pasting way too much code that is common to all our projects" -> "Google MEF" -> "Read blog Posts" -> "This stuff looks great! Exactly what I'm looking for!" -> "Oh crap, this guy's sample from his blog post doesn't work, where the hell is the PackageCatalog???" -> "Pull hair out.. curse... blast Twitter" -> "Google ProjectCatalog, MEF, missing" -> "Find Glenn's Blog Post... "

Yeah, been a while since we talked. Follow you on Twitter - Need to catch up at a conference sometime :-)

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Gotcha. If you hit the codeplex wiki docs you'll find some good pointers there. Sorry it was confusin.

Cool. I'll be at Build most likely if you are planning to attend.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I'd love to make it to Build. I think there's going to be some worthwhile announcements then...  

We'll see how the budget shakes out. Might have to do that one on my own dime, but I think it will be worth it.