Where are released MEF sources?

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Hi,

Where can I find MEF sources for the version shipped in .NET4?

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM

The source tree found here is no longer being updated but with each MEF download you'll get the source. The specific source that shipped in .NET 4 can be obtained through the .NET framework source code server (I think) see here for how http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/netmassdownloader.aspx

If none of the above applies, then you can always use the .NET Reflector to brwose .NET assemblies, none of the Framework assemblies are obfuscated and you can learn a lot about the framework with a tool such as the .NET reflector, is free and available from Red Gate http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Thanks, but..

.NET FW Source server doesn't contain sources for (at least) my OS (WinServer 2008r2). I can debug other .net assemblies but not MEF.

Using Reflector is of cause possible but why do you arrange MEF space here then? What is point in open source and codeplex if anybody who needs sources should use Reflector. We have been doing this for ages.

One more proof that MS and opensource is incompatible.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM

It's a darn shame that they stopped updating the source tree, but other than that I don't care. I'm not interested in building my own variant of MEF, but I am interested in contributing it different ways (note: MEF contrib).

The MEF 2 Preview is a great example of how having MEF on codeplex let's the team dig into stuff and release things whenever they like. We can also grab, or nag the specific people involved if we feel that there's a pressing issue at hand. MEF might not be truly open source in that anyone can contribute, nor would I want it that way, but MEF is being actively developed by excellent people that are payed and respected developers, that is rare with open source projects, and the best open source projects have very rigorous QA standards involving review and testing of anything committed anyways. I bet if you have something really cool cooking, everyone will be interested.

EDIT: the .NET Reflector is just a very convenient tool. I use it to browse assemblies and access MSDN for documentation all the time.